Frequently asked questions
I know...reading these is a chore that everyone would rather not deal with, but unfortunately, they're necessary. They not only protect my work, but also your use of it. Download and/or use of anything from this site constitutes your agreement with my terms, whether or not you actually read them. Thank You for taking the time to check them out.
The objective in genealogy is to identify all ancestors and descendants in a particular family tree and to collect personal data on them. As a minimum, these data include the individual's name and the date/location of birth, marriage, and death. In order to support research by other genealogists, the data are often published on internet genealogy websites.
Most of us would prefer not to have to worry about our personal data but, in this day and age, we must use caution to prevent misuse of the information. Identity theft and credit fraud are the worst problems. There is concern that information distributed to distant relatives or put on a genealogy website makes it easier for unscrupulous individuals to commit invasions of privacy or other frauds. However, the personal information that the identity thieves and credit fraud perpetrators want are full names, social security numbers, dates and places of birth, current occupation/employment data, and bank/credit card account numbers. One or two facts alone (e.g., your name and/or your mother's maiden name) are not enough information to cause damage.
Names and Relationships
Many genealogy programmes can suppress the names of living individuals and substitute "living" or "still living". I have designed this website so that it suppresses the full names of living individuals. If you are aware that someone is living and their full name is shown here, please let me know, so I can remedy the situation.
Note: Only individuals who have registered with our website and are logged in to the site will be able to view information on any living individual. This will sometimes be restricted to only their branch of their family.
Photographs of living individuals are considered personal data and are normally suppressed. However, if the individual so chooses, a photograph can be tagged as "always visible". Before any photograph can be included in this website, permission is obtained from the owner of a photograph. Where, for any reason, all reasonable steps have been exhausted and the original owner cannot be found or contacted, any legitimate objection to the display of the photograph will result in immediate removal from the site until such objection can be addressed. Permission is also obtained from living individuals in a photograph if,
- they are identified in the caption/description or
- they can be identified through deductive reasoning using names/relationships found elsewhere.
The statements, "Photo Courtesy of.." and/or "Used with Permission" (or similar), combined with the owner's name identifies compliance with these requirements.
Personal Data Suppression
By default, individuals in our genealogy database are considered to be 'living' if we have no death date and they were born 100 years or less before the present date. To ensure the privacy of such 'living' individuals, our internet genealogy website always suppresses their personal data from viewing by the general public. Personal data includes, but is not limited to, birth/marriage dates/locations, photographs, notes, and biographies.
Note: If a relative does not want their personal data to reside in a website server database in spite of password protection, that individual and linked descendants can not be accommodated by the security program. They will reluctantly have to be completely excluded from the website.
Personal Data Access
Your access may, in some circumstances, be restricted to:
- You (the registered user) and your spouse (but not your spouse's family).
- Your descendants and their spouses.
- Your parents and grandparents.
- Your uncles/aunts and their spouses.
- Your 1st cousins and their spouses (but not their children).
- Your siblings and their spouses.
- Your nephews/nieces and their spouses (but not their children).
Note: Only individuals who have registered with our website and are logged in to the site will be able to view information on living individuals. This access will sometimes be restricted to only their branch of their family.
Personal Data Security
Personal information collected by me in trust (email/street addresses, phone numbers, etc.) or as a result of an application for membership, a suggestion/comment, or from our visitors guestbook, will not be divulged to any person or entity for any purpose whatsoever unless we are legally bound to prevent or detect a crime. You should be aware, however, that much of this information is already in the public domain and may be readily available to others using internet search engines (e.g., Yahoo People Search, Google.com, Birthday.com).
- The term "The Website" refers to the Four Branches Genealogy website.
- The term "you" will refer to any person viewing The Website content using the URL http://elemy.co.uk.
- The Website contains copyrighted material and other proprietary information including, but not limited to, text, photos, and graphics. The entire contents of The Website, including the title logo, are copyrighted as a collective work and all rights are reserved.
- All of the pages located within the domain http://elemy.co.uk/ are accessible to the public for free, without charges or fees of any kind, with the exception of access to data on living persons which is allowed only to family members.
- The information on this site is intended to be freely used by researchers for personal, non-commercial use that is not meant to generate income or money.
- For those who wish to use this information for personal, noncommercial purposes, I ask only that you give credit by citing the page url address (http://...) that contains the information you are using, and/or the name and address of the main page of The Website, for example:
"Four Branches Genealogy", http://elemy.co.uk
- Note: It is expressly forbidden for anyone to charge for access to these pages, or to provide the information contained on them to anyone for any kind of fee or charge, or to use them in a commercial manner.
- If you have been charged a fee to access these pages, or know of a site that is doing so, or that is reproducing information from this site for a fee, please contact me using the link at the bottom of the page.
The domain http://elemy.co.uk is owned by Beverley Weir Stimpson. You may check this with WHOIS.COM
- The Website is for the personal use of the family members listed herein. Use by others is limited to the purpose of genealogical research. The content of this site can not be used for any sort of unsolicited mail or commercial purposes.
- Family members must not share their user name and password with anyone except their current spouse and minor children. They also agree not to share personal data of family members accessible through use of that password without the express permission of the individuals concerned. Members accounts will be terminated immediately if log-in information is passed to an unconnected third party, or if any abuse of privilege is identified.
- Individual images may be copied by family members for their personal use. General distribution, including use on other websites, is prohibited by copyright law unless permission is obtained from the owner of the photo, living individuals in the photo (if identifiable), and the site owner.
- Biographies and documents may be copied by family members for their personal use. General distribution (including use on other websites) is prohibited by copyright law unless permission is obtained from the site owner.
- In the event of permitted copying or distribution of copyrighted material, no changes in, or deletion of, author attribution or copyright notice shall be made. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading copyrighted material.
- You agree to give appropriate credit for any material from this website that you use in a written document, genealogical database, or website of your own. You agree to include a link to http://elemy.co.uk/genealogy on any genealogical web page of yours that makes use of the content on this site.
- Guest accounts have read-only access.
- The IP address of any access to this website is always logged.
- The website owners decision in all matters is final.
The whole point of genealogy, it seems to me, is to make connections; whether from as yet unknown "cousins" or other researchers who might just have a lead that you need!
With this in mind, I do NOT lay claim to any of the research or that I somehow own the information gleaned. Would I like a little bit of credit if you use my research? Well, yes but it's not a big deal - on the flip side, I also insist on giving credit to other researchers where it’s due.
However, copyright is to protect the images and photographs and the design of my website (not the programme which generated the pages - which can be found HERE, but the design, style and images which I personally created.
- This website consists of images, texts, formats and styles of presentation, (including HTML code) and material analogous to it (“Material“). All copyright and other moral, ownership and intellectual property rights capable of subsisting in the Material or derivatives of it from time to time is either owned exclusively by or is licensed to elemy.co.uk.
- Four Branches Genealogy is made available under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. (CC BY-NC-SA) license. Consistent with that license, the manner of attribution shall be the preservation all source citations relevant to the database or any part.
- In other words, you are free, and even encouraged, to verify any fact—obtain for yourself the material of any source—and if you do you are under no obligation to cite this database. However, if you choose instead to build upon this work, you must abide by the requirements of the Creative Commons license and these instructions regarding attribution.
- Photos published on this site are part of the personal family collections of the Four Branches family or have been contributed by generous colleagues (collectively 'the owners'). The owners retain all rights associated with their photos. Consequently, these photos may not be copied, distributed, re-distributed, incorporated in whole or in part in other works, nor aggregated with other works without the permission of the owners.
- Any other images that have been created by myself are copyright to Four Branches. NONE of my graphics may be redistributed or resold. and may NOT be included on a compilation CD, graphic collections of clip art, computer bulletin board, etc. without my express permission.
- This is a British Website. Some images such as census returns, birth certificates, and other National Archive documents are copyright of the National Archives, Public Record Office and General Register Office and may be used for the purpose of research, private study or education. If you wish to use the images from this site for any other reason or wish to enquire further regarding their use, please contact the National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Infringement of the above conditions may result in legal action by the National Archives. Or alternatively contact The General Register Office, Communications Manager, Trafalgar Road, Southport, PR8 2HH.
- NOTE: PLEASE download graphics to your own server or computer. NEVER link off someone else's server. This is called "bandwidth theft". If you do not know what bandwidth theft is I suggest you do some research on the subject. To download to your own hard drive, right click on the image desired, choose 'save image as', and save to a folder on your hard drive.
- Before accessing the research pages please be sure you want to know the information contained in this website. There are some tragic tales in here and graphic information. I/we will not be held responsible for any distress caused by information not previously known by the reader.
- While every effort will be made to have accurate information on this site, that is not always possible. I am currently in the process of sourcing and verifying current information. However, just because a fact has a source does not necessarily mean that it is accurate as many sources are secondary. You should always verify facts independently. Notes will indicate problems with data when discovered. Please use the contact link below if you have anything to contribute to this task.
- Every effort has been made to ascertain the accuracy of the data. However, since some of the information was provided by others without documented sources, there is the possibility of errors. The website owner cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any content or material found on The Website or linked to our site. Furthermore, you agree not to hold the The Website or it's owners, agents or data suppliers, responsible for any issues that may arise from the inaccuracy of the content on this site.
- This database contains information that has been proved as well as information that is speculative and in the process of being proved or disproved. Do not take everything you find here (or in any other online database) as absolute, complete or 100% accurate.
- If you do not agree with any of the aformentioned actual or impled Policies or Terms and Conditions, you must leave this site now. Click here to do that now.
External Links Disclaimer
- This site contains links to other Internet sites. These links are not an endorsement of any products or services provided at/by these sites. No information in such sites is endorsed or approved by this site or its webmaster/owner.
- We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to modify or replace these Terms at any time. The website will be changing constantly as more research is conducted and more resources become available.
- The website will almost certainly be down on occasions for reasons totally beyond my control Yes, I know! Technology - Can't live without it, can't live with it... but don't you just hate it sometimes?
... and finally
We hope that you enjoy your visit to our website and that you find it interesting and fulfilling. It would be great if you can give me a link on your own website or blog. And of course I will reciprocate!